Solstice


Tomorrow's the Winter Solstice. And you know what that means: daytime will start lengthening again! It also means that there are only four days left to Christmas shopping. If you are still looking for gift ideas, and would prefer giving a tangible present, how about giving a cookbook?

Even though I own hundreds of cookbooks, there are very few that I would consider essential. In a pinch, if my house were burning down, I probably attempt to save my copy of Laurel's Kitchen and Mastering The Art of French Cooking. I would also try to save my new favourite book: The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper

I first heard about The Splendid Table through Tara Austen Weaver's blog Tea and Cookie. I listened to a few podcasts, and was hooked. I knew I would enjoy the book, so up it went on my wish list. And it arrived in the mail last week! (Thank you HS and N!) I've already read it from cover to cover. I know I'm terrible! I couldn't wait 'til Christmas. I devoured it whole. It got dragged on my commute to work. I even read it before going to bed.

It is that fascinating. How to Eat Supper is more than just a cookbook: besides the interesting -and easy to make- recipes, the book is filled with funny anecdotes and useful tips. It is a great reference for the beginner cook, but it will enthral even the most experienced cook. It reads like a novel, and is rather inspirational. 

It's a must-have!



P.S. There will be a lunar eclipse tonight. At the solstice. The last time this occurred was in 1638! And it should not happen again before 2094. If you can, sneak a peak at the night sky tonight. On the East Coast, the lunar eclipse will begin around 1am; West-Coasters will not have to stay up too late to see this once in a lifetime occurrence.



Comments

Popular Posts