Finally...


I went 'round to the market today, just to see what was to be has. The warm weather has been so long in coming that a lot of local tidbits have been delayed, others are hanging around a little longer than usual. West Coast morels are still available, the season having been extended by the cool and wet, and Quebec fungi are just beginning to come into their own. I hear that there are morels to be found in Montreal... Those are long gone.


I've left my garden asparagus to stretch out a while back, so I've been itching to chomp into a bunch of the local harvest: it's finally arrived. Just in time for the morels and fiddleheads! Pasta primavera, risotto, here I come! Lobsters from Nova Scotia have been available since the beginning of the month, and now those from the Magdalene Islands are also coming to shore. Isn't it swell how things that go well together are in season together?

While I am perfectly content eating the same seasonal dishes each and every year, I suppose it would make for a rather monotonous food blog if only the same recipes were ever posted. So I've been racking my brains to come up with something new. While I await for inspiration, here is a quick starter to stave off the hunger pangs.


Grilled Asparagus and Eggs
Serves 4

2 bunches of asparagus, about 750g/ 1½ lbs
2 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper
4 cooked eggs

Fire up the barbecue or the oven grill.
Wash and trim the asparagus. Place in a deep dish, and drizzle generously with olive oil.
Peel and thinly sliver the garlic cloves. Sprinkle over the asparagus.
Season with salt and pepper.
Grill until little bits begin to char, about 5-7 minutes. If using the bbq, keep a close eye on the garlic to avoid burning it. In the oven, you can hide the garlic beneath the asparagus, so that it roasts gently.
Divide the asparagus amongst 4 plates, and top with an egg. 
Serve immediately.


Make sure you have a good amount of bread to sop up the olive oil and egg yolk. The eggs can be cooked any which way you like, but the yolk should remain runny so that it can double as a sauce. Fried eggs are quick and easy, but soft boiled (4 to 6 minutes from the time the water comes to the boil) are really pretty, if a little fussy to peel. Poached eggs are tops. Having spent a couple of years poaching several dozens of eggs every morning, I've avoided them for a time. But it's been a while since I last worked the breakfast shift, and I've noticed that I've been thinking about them lately.




Bon app'!



P.S. I've just been listening to a Splendid Table podcast, and heard about this similar recipe. The egg is baked over the asparagus after they've been grilled. One less step means you get fed a little earlier!


Comments

Popular Posts