Old MacDonald had a farm...


My mind was all confusion on my way to work this morning. I was thinking about all the things I wanted to write about when I got home, and it all seemed quite interesting at the time, but now that I am sitting in front of my computer I forget what it was that I wanted to write about... there's a reason why I always have a pen and paper on me, perhaps I should use them next time I get a bright idea... Well, all is not lost!

If all my going on about how great my CSA baskets are have tickled your fancy and you still haven't got around to signing up for your own, the first step to joining is finding a farm that will supply you. So here are a couple of links to help you:

Equiterre for the list of Quebec's farms
Ontario's CSA directory
I couldn't find a directory for British Columbia, but here are a couple of links:
City farm boy
UBC (yes! UBC as in the university!)
Urban Grains
In New Brunswick, you can try Sackville
Prince Edward Island's listing

In the US, you can try this listing (it also includes some Canadian farms, and other countries) or this one, compiled by the people at Local Harvest

Not all the CSAs listed are organic, but some food and environment people would argue that local trumps organic any day if your organic has to be shipped from across the world. So I hope these listings whet your appetite!

By the way, some of you may be getting ready to get into Christmas gear... Have you thought of the gift of food? Granted, offering a CSA membership may be beyond the means of most of us, however, if my experience is any indication of the average CSA adventure then most baskets will have way more food than you or your family can consume before the arrival of the next basket. So why not share a basket with a friend or relative? It could be the gift that keeps on giving!

Comments

Popular Posts